Monday, November 29, 2010

There is something about you......

...

Hello from Los Angeles!

There really is something about you.......but I can't quite put my finger on it.

I had a comment recently from a new business contact.  He told me that there was something about me, when he first met me......a certain aura.  I was flattered by the comment.  But what was it exactly?

With all the people that I interact with on a daily and weekly basis, I am more aware of how people show up.  Are they happy?  Full of energy?  Do they make eye contact?  Speak boldly, or softly?

How do you want to show up and be remembered?

Do you smile for no particular reason?
Why do you help others without being asked or expecting anything in return?
Can you just be you 24/7?
Are you a true friend who reaches for someones hand and touches their heart.  (I thank my sister Sharon for this line)
How do you show up every day?

Well, the exciting news is that we can show others what we are about every day......but how?

The biblical saying, "do unto others as you would have others do unto you" is so relevant here.

When I meet someone without a smile and they appear withdrawn and sad, I try very hard to make a conscience choice to continue to be ME.....usually in a positive, energized frame of mind.  I can only hope that the other person draws from my energy and changes their state.   Perhaps in some small way, I made a difference in their day.

We have a choice to present ourselves in a certain way every time we show up.  In some cases, we need to show up 50 times per day.  Are you up for it? 

I was speaking with a Coaching client recently and we made reference to a mutual business contact.  I mentioned that we both knew this lady, who is a Business Professional.  His response was, "she is a great lady, with real presence and energy".  I would suggest that every person that comes in contact with her would have a very similar comment. There is indeed something about her!    Regardless of our profession, we have an opportunity to impact people in a positive way.

I am grateful that I have contacts in many professions and backgrounds.  The key part for me, it is all about who they are, not what they do.

They differentiate themselves by the way in which they show up, and for the most part it is very consistent.

I tend to gravitate to this type of person, because their  (PVP) " personal value proposition" is of interest to me and I draw from their energy and attitude.  It is less about the product or service they offer or what street they live on.

There IS something about you, but what do you want that to look like?  Put your best foot forward and show your good side everyday!

“Learn and grow all you can; serve and befriend all you can; enrich and inspire all you can.” -William Arthur Ward

Have a great week.

As always, I welcome your comments on this weeks Blog, in the comment section below.

"Helping you to the next level"

3 comments:

Andrew Narten said...

This is great Mike, and a great thing to maintain a consistent effort in doing everyday. Personally, I take pride in doing everything I can to 'make people happy they encountered me' each time I meet them or see them. In some small way it's a form of paying it forward and all it takes is the conscious effort to project positivity through whatever form of interaction we experience. This could be in person, over the phone, email or text. If you make the effort, you really can project a positive Aura, but you have to feel it, you cant fake it.
Let's make the world a better place!

Veen said...

Mike, another excellent thought provoking post....and ironically, I have a story to share.
The weekend gone was the weekend i had my son 12 year old son with me and Saturday saw us heading to the mall to finalise our Christmas shopping and what not. Being the weekend and getting close to Christmas, obviously more and more people are frequenting the malls and parking is getting to be an even bigger nightmare than usual. I see a car coming out of a parking spot and of course I honed in. Unfortunately the young lass could not get her car out of the vertical parking spot and i could not move back because that would have put me into incoming traffic and therefore the only way to go was forward and then back into the car spot. As I was backing into the vacant spot, a car just comes around the corner and drives straight into the spot. I kid you not. Another woman, in her 40’s too (mind you, I was better looking, says my son, god bless him, LOL) with two kids. I wind down my window and tell her that i was getting into the car spot and all she said was “stiff, I did not see you” and proceeded to get out and walk away.

Yes, I could have hurled abuse, there would have been plenty of people to back me up (a couple were actually looking on flabbergasted). But the look of uncertainty on her children’s faces and the fact that my own son was looking at made me realise that it is how we as adults and parents react in situation of stress and conflict like this that stay on in our children’s minds and consequently impact on their behaviour.

So, instead of being angry, I just smiled at her kids and walked back to my car. And the best part of the story, the look of pride in my son’s eyes and his words, “You are awesome, mummy”. Those words beat a parking spot anytime!

That is how I would like to be remembered.

Mike said...

Veen, thank you again for the comments and your contribution to my Blog.

I really admire how you handled the parking situation.

Well done....................your son has reason to be proud...