Monday, November 15, 2010

How's your glass?

...

Good morning from beautiful Victoria, BC.


Is your glass half full, or half empty???

Do you have people in your life that wake up every day with hope and optimism and they see the good in every single thing?....................Pretty awesome if you do!

When you are having a bad day, they are the people that you need to call when you are looking for a "raise the attitude adjustment."

There are of course the other people in our life that have the natural ability to suck the fun out of the day.
Tip......don't call them when you are having a good day..  I am just kidding actually!!
If you are full of mojo, you can possibly break their negative state....but don't coach them to do it....it has to come on its own accord.  Just be there and don't get sucked in to the deep dark hole of gloom and doom.

I was at a large fundraising event with a friend of mine a month or so ago.  There were many great and supportive people there.  We were visiting with a few new contacts and one guy was commenting about his wine glass.  I asked him, "is your glass half empty or half full?"  Without hesitation he replied, "my glass is definitely half full."  It was evident that he meant it and that his approach to life was consistent with this message based on other things that he said.   He made me smile and it felt great to be in the presence of someone that had that positive vibe.  It made me want to be better!

Sometimes we ask people how they are doing and we may regret asking.  They tell us about how crappy life is and how everyone in the world is screwing up their life.   Wow...............I am really glad I asked.....Not!

A long-time friend and mentor of mine, Peter Kossowan, shared his classic line with me many years ago.
Rather than saying, "have a good day," Peter always says, "make it a good day"  Simple, yet really effective. If you think about it, you have more control over making it a good day than the other way around.

This was profound for me and one of many treasured words of wisdom that Peter has offered me over the years.  Thank you Peter!   By the way.....he is indeed a "glass half full kind of guy."

Here is some food for thought.  If you try to wake up each day and go about your routine with a "my glass is half full" kind of attitude, you may actually surprise yourself. 


Examples.....

See the good in other people.
Observe the opportunity in a new business challenge.
How can you make today awesome?
Be grateful for what you have and not be envious of what you do not have.
Make every moment count, rather than waste it on negative thoughts.
What can you do to make a difference in someone else's life?

Half full, or half empty?
Click here for pic


As always, I welcome your feedback on my Blog!

"Helping you to the next level"

5 comments:

Wang said...

Mike! Hope your presentation went / is going well! I saw this picture and thought that maybe this is your next level ;)

http://sethgodin.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451b31569e2013488ea5619970c-popup

Wang

Anonymous said...

Love the theme of this blog Mike. There was one story that immediately came to my mind. I recall asking an acquaintance whom I hadn’t seen in some time how he was doing and with the greatest of sincerity he said “I am living the dream”. Of course I had to ask him what had happened that made his life so extraordinary, as it turns out he was living an oridinary life by most people’s standards and no he had not won the lottery. He simply made the choice to see all the good in his life. I was so impacted by his positive attitude that I started responding the same way when I got asked how I was doing. I can’t tell you how many great conversations came out of this and how it seemed to uplift the spirits of so many people. So much more fun than “I’m fine”. Thanks for reminding me about that. CG

Anonymous said...

Great blog Mike as usual. I think that I will make it a good day today!

Shaun

Anonymous said...

Good morning Mike:

I now have a copy of the glass half full on my bulletin board!

Truly great blog this morning!!!

FYI…You are getting better and better each time ..each blog is better than the last!

Randa

Anonymous said...

Excellent!
Have a great day! Make it a good day!
Dieter