Monday, October 25, 2010

Connection

...

Connection, Connect, Connecting.

We keep hearing these words more and more it seems.  It's even in my weekly Blog title.

Whether it is business or personal relationships, the buzz word is Connect, or Connection.

So why is it so important?  What does it mean?  How does it happen?

Connecting Is All About Others
"When you are trying to connect with people, it’s not about you — it’s about them. If you want to connect with others, you have to get over yourself. You have to change the focus from inward to outward, off of yourself and onto others." - John C. Maxwell (author, "Everyone Communicates, few Connect").

I had the good fortune of seeing a long-time friend of mine from Nova Scotia this past week, (Jim Casey).
We have not seen each other for four years, yet we chat and email from time to time and keep up on our lives. We both agreed that it only seemed like yesterday since we last were together.   Every conversation was effortless and comfortable.  Wow, what a concept!

We all experience this on occasion with certain people, but why does it happen with some and not others?
Well, I have a few theories, but will focus on one or two.  Whether it is a business or personal relationship, we discover that there are certain people that meet, what I call, the "LRT" criteria. We LIKE them, we RESPECT them and we TRUST them, and that has stood the test of time.

I consider myself very lucky that I have many people in my life that meet these criteria.  Of course, the criteria are earned over time, and I know that I too must earn this with the other person as well.  That's why it works!

It is a simple guide that can go a long way in strengthening a relationship.

I actually use the "LRT criteria within my Coaching practice when I make reference to how we establish Centres of Influences in our professional and personal life.  If you have earned the right to ask anyone for anything, you too must be Liked, Respected and Trusted.  Here is what is really important.  It does not matter if the individual is a CEO, a Doctor, or a Farmer.

If we take the time to Connect with the person, not the position or their status in the community or their wealth, we really have something that is special and long-lasting.

Always ensure that the Connection, or relationship can create a win-win and never keep track if you have won or lost more than the other person.  Sometimes you may lean on them more and other times they may ask you for more.  It's all good, if indeed a true connection is there.

I welcome your comments on this week's Blog in the section below.


"Helping you to the next Level"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike. Thanks for the blog. You sure meet my LRT criteria.
Dennis

Anonymous said...

Glad to be in your LRT circle! :)
Jason

Anonymous said...

Good morning Mike:

I always enjoy your blogs and look forward to them, in fact. This morning’s was exceptional! Thank you for sending these blogs out and keep them coming.

Have a fabulous week!
Randa

Anonymous said...

Nicely done, Mike. LRT! I like it.

BTW, liked the Will Smith blog last week, too.

Greg

Anonymous said...

Hello Mike
Thank you for this weeks blog. It is great reminder for all of us and a different spin on "give and you shall receive".
You always manage to be inspirational and set a tone for the week that is remembered and valued.
I hope you get the ROI as well because you deserve it
Thank you

Carol Gervais said...

Great blog as usual...always look forward to starting my week this way. I agree very strongly with your message, personally and professionally if you don't have a true connections life feels hollow.

carol

Wang said...

Great message Mike - I can understand now why you connect so well with others

Anonymous said...

You always amaze me with your blog..........after I read them I always change my direction of my day.......and it is always for the better and I think I always have a good day,too..
I am one of your #1 fans.
Elaine