Monday, October 4, 2010

Struggles

...

In my profession as a Business Consultant and Sales Coach, I see and speak with many people who have struggles.  Some struggles are personal, and some are professional issues, but the reality is that this is completely normal.  It's called life!!

When the going gets tough, do you keep going?  Many people do, and persevere, but many people just stop...or quit!

"If you're going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill

Life can throw us curve balls without notice, but we must teach ourselves, or seek support from others to learn how to get out of the rut, or funk.  Be strong and put in the effort to step forward.

As I speak with more and more people in my journey called life, I realize that alot of people don't actually know where they want to end up.  Their struggles may be related to job or career challenges.  Perhaps they work hard and life is always hectic with their business and they see no end in sight.  They may say, "why me?"

I really like the advice from Andy Andrews (7 Decisions for Success) .
He states, when someone asks, "why me, I will immediately counter with the answer, why not me?  Challenges are gifts, an opportunity to learn.  Problems are the common thread running through the lives of great men and women.  In times of adversity I will not have a problem to deal with, I will have a choice to make.  Adversity is preparation for greatness."  
This is great advice, and I do know that it works.

In addition to the above suggestion, I really encourage you to think about the following advice as it has served me very well over the past few years as I encountered many struggles in my life.

Focus on what you want......NOT on what you don't want.  This is very simple advice, but so many people don't follow this.  Create the life that you want..................you deserve it!

Instead of saying, "I don't want to be unhappy, say "I want true happiness and will do what I need to do to find it"....(Two very different approaches)

I am a big fan of the work of Napoleon Hill.  One of my favourites quotes from him is, "why is it that more people don't keep on, keeping on?"  The meaning here is that, if we push ourselves just a little more or further, we may get through the challenge and reap the benefits of our efforts...!

Here is my way of illustrating the struggles of life and I will relate it to a baseball diamond.  The goal in baseball is to get a hit (let's call that success) and advance around the bases (we will call this the journey of life)  If you only get to 1st base and hit a challenge or struggle (you are out) you must start all over again. Getting to 1st base 10 times or 50 times is not the objective.  Keep on keeping on, to advance your life!

When you get good at this, you realize that you will keep doing it, because as I see it, there is no other option worth considering!!!

Struggles will make you stronger........trust me on this one!!!

I would welcome your comments on this week's Blog, in the comment section below.

"Helping you to the next level"

3 comments:

Kim said...

Very well said Mike!

Anonymous said...

I think you have materials good enough for a book here. I read many many blogs and e-zines, but yours is one of the few I read religiously and absorb every word. Ever thought of a collaboration? :)

Cheers!

Greg.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike,

Another great blog – I love reading them each week.


Judy