Monday, August 23, 2010

RESPECT

...

Good day everyone!

Many of us were taught to "respect our elders".  Makes sense, right?
But, ...what about everyone else?  The young lady that works at Tim Hortons, your neighbour, your kids, or past friends and relationships................and of course, yourself!

Respect has always been a guiding principle for me.  I try to apply the teachings of Dr. Stephen Covey.  Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, then to be Understood.  It allows me to respect people for who they are.....in most cases!

Just because you don't see eye to eye with someone, or they make decisions that may impact you, take the time to respect that person's point of view. It takes a big person to respect someone for who they are, with their many great qualities and numerous flaws......
There are many people that I have a tremendous amount of respect for......all for different reasons.
For some, it is what they do, and for others it is for what they don't do....

Self Respect, can be equally difficult for many people.  It is defined as, "The knowledge of one's own worth, valuing one's self".  Are you comfortable in your own skin?  Are you fine to just be you, and not anyone else?  If so, good for you!!! This can come from confidence, or vice versa. Perhaps you receive validation from people that suggest you are great as you are.

I came across this quote and it really hit me!..............Ironically, a very special friend, who I have a tremendous amount of respect for, said almost the exact same thing to me a week ago.

“Don't rely on someone else for your happiness and self worth. Only you can be responsible for that. If you can't love and respect yourself - no one else will be able to make that happen. Accept who you are - completely; the good and the bad - and make changes as YOU see fit - not because you think someone else wants you to be different.”  - Stacey Charter

As I see it, if you have ample Self Respect, it is easier to Respect others!


"Helping you to the next level"

2 comments:

Blaine said...

Mike:
I always enjoy the time and thought put into your messages. Some weeks the meaning runs deeper on a personal level. Please know we are out here reading and benefiting from your work!

The comment about getting validation from others, or trying to be different made me stop and ponder about my own source of self image and why some jobs and activities just 'feel' like a better fit. The story about being true to yourself can be told a thousand times, but it may have to be told only once from the right person to make the message clear.

I will thoughtfully be carrying this message with me throughout the week.

Thank you.

Judy said...

Hi Mike,

I enjoy reading your blogs. This one reflects my philosophy exactly. Thanks for sharing.

Judy