Monday, August 2, 2010

Life Lessons............from Wisdom!

...

Good morning everyone!

This weeks Blog will be a little longer, but for good reason, as I have the privilege of sharing some wisdom from my 85 year old friend, Vernon.

Vernon has been a longtime family friend, former boss and mentor to me.   I have known Vernon my entire life!  He is 85 years young and I regard him as one of the brightest business minds that I know.  We always enjoy meaningful discussion on the phone, or face to face, when we are together.  I always find time in my schedule when travelling to Saskatchewan to see Vernon, because I always learn something.  (I also apply my longtime guiding principle here as well.  " I am glad I did...................vs. I wish I had.")

I asked Vernon recently, what he regarded as his Life Lessons in the past 85 years.

Here are some of Vernon's thoughts:

He said "Mike, you are like me..., your ears are eager to hear and learn". 
I guess it is true, because I always can listen to absolutely anything Vernon has to say, regardless of topic.

When he was in his early teens and his parents would visit the neighbours on the farm, he would sit with the adults, vs. play with the kids his age, as he wanted to learn something.  Vernon, said,  "you should always learn as you go."

When he started his Farm Equipment Dealership in 1949 he earned solid customers and they trusted him and he in turn trusted them.  They had confidence in him, as a businessman. (FYI.....Hibbard Equipment Ltd., is still in active operation today)

Vernon noted that "today, the world is changing so fast....you need to keep up!"  Are you keeping up??

He's a man that always has a passion for learning and seeing the world and loves to travel.

Vernon stated, "nature is becoming more of my enjoyment.....it is great to see mother nature's work." That would explain his passion for farming.

He has a lot less focus on business today, and the fact that he can see his grand kids, and now great grand kids grow up, is very important to him, as well.  "They are true enjoyment!"  He noted that the difference with your kids and your grand kids is that you tell your kids to "slowdown" and now you get to watch the grand kids run!

As Vernon and I shared some deep dialogue about life a year or so ago, when he treated me to a steak dinner, while I was in Regina, he commented about the changes we experience in life.  He said, "Mike, nothing lasts for ever.....we change, and people change and go in different directions......just accept it."

I asked Vernon what he would like to be remembered for?  He laughed, and said, "I am not sure I should be remembered for anything, other than the fact that I am no different than anyone else.  I looked after myself, and loved what I did in business and tried to enjoy life."  I know for certain that he truly loved what he did from a business perspective.  He said, "if I had to do it all over again.................I would."

I am grateful that Vernon took the time to share this wisdom with me, but I am truly honoured to have him as a dear friend and Life Mentor. 

Enjoy your Alaskan cruise and Yukon tour coming up this week Vernon! 

(I welcome your comments on my Blog in the comments section below...Thank you!)




"Helping you to the next Level"

No comments: