Monday, December 27, 2010

Want vs. Need

...

Good morning from Kamloops, BC.

So......did you get what you want for Christmas?

Was your list long and detailed?

What did you want exactly?

I do hope you got what you wanted for Christmas, but more importantly realize that what you need the most, was not likely under the Christmas tree.

I am finding that the older (and hopefully wiser) I get, my list gets shorter.

Why is that exactly?   Well in most cases, the "things" we want, and usually get for Christmas and Birthday's etc. are not essential.  Nice to have, nevertheless.

Now, don't get me wrong, I enjoy a great gift as much as anyone, and I did receive some amazing things this year.

The words Want and Need come up alot and are constantly interchanged.  When we were young, we wanted everything, but we didn't necessarily need everything.

Definition of want..................and need

"Want" refers to what you absolutely have to have and "need" refers to something that you don't really lust for -- but you just need it. A need is a necessity.
....or A "want" refers to something that you would prefer to have, what you see as a good rather than a bad. A "need" refers to something that is absolutely necessary to your health (both physical and mental). You may not want to eat salt or take insulin (if you have diabetes), but they are necessary to your health.
Sources: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_define_wants_and_needs

As I ponder on my short Christmas list, I realized that I received some of what I wanted, but I am truly getting what I need as it relates to items off the list.

I thank my family, many amazing friends and my health for that.

In 2011, there are many things that I want, as my goal list is long and detailed, but I am focused on ensuring that I get what I need.  I need to take care of myself, mentally, physically and emotional.  How about you?
My need list isn't long, but it is definitely essential to my well-being.  It is work-in-progress.
More importantly, I want to help others appreciate that what they need may not be purchased, but rather something that may be a touch away, or at least take only minutes to receive.

Have a great week with family and friends......you need it..!


"Helping you to the next level"

1 comment:

Blaine said...

I laughed and smiled as I read this very timely blog.

I routinely used the term 'need' when constructing my shopping list. While making an effort to pay down bills and simplify our lives my wife would gently remind me "define a NEED"

By clarifying my 'wants' and 'needs', I found I always had just enough of both.