Monday, December 13, 2010

I am glad I did! ... Do you wish you had?

...

Life can offer many regrets.


The following line impacted me when I first heard it. (approx. 15 years ago)
At the end of my journey, I want to say..... "I am glad I did vs. I wish I had"

The premise here is that at the end of our lives we will reflect on the past.  The visual in my case, when I first heard of this, was a Basket full of "I wish I had's."

What's in your basket? 

For some, they may regret not furthering their education.
Others may regret not taking that exciting job offer.
We may wish that we spent more time playing with our kids.
Perhaps we wished that we built meaningful relationships.

I see this to be different from our "bucket list", as in many cases they are smaller things (significant nevertheless) that we can do, or decide not to do, yet can make all the difference.

Is there still time to ensure that the "I wish I had's stay out of your basket?

There are many examples of how I have applied the title of this Blog in my life.......how about you?

What are you glad that you did?

What do you wish you had done?

As for me....

I am glad that I called my Mom on a regular basis when she was living.
I am glad that I travelled to visit my Dad a few weeks before he passed away.
I am glad that I text my kids to keep in touch, so they know that I am there.
I am glad that I said hi, and met amazing people that impacted my life.
I am glad that I made a difference in some people's life.
I am glad that I read The Alchemist. (It allowed me to take risks and understand the miracle of life, by allowing the unexpected to happen.)
I am glad that I started my Blog that allows me the opportunity to stay connected with so many people.

The upcoming weekend will offer another opportunity to say "I am glad I did", when I travel 6 hours to visit a long time family friend to share in her 75th Birthday celebration.  Darlene Neuman of Lethbridge, Alberta is like a Mom to me and I have known her for 20 years.   I had other plans this weekend with Christmas parties, etc.  My thought process was very simple.   After I visit her, I know, with certainty that I will say, I am glad I did.   Not going, was simply not an option!

The reverse of this is, if you didn't take action, what do you wish you had done?

We have an opportunity to decide if we want to live with regret, or be glad we made a decision to take action, regardless of the outcome.

At the end of the day, none of us want to say................."I wish I had......."

Here's the happy ending to this week's Blog.   Create a list of I wish I had's and take action to be glad you did them before it's too late. 

I welcome your comments in the comment section below.

"Helping you to the next level"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning! Great blog as always!! You better cut it out, people are going to start thinking you are smart....LOL
Have a great day! Chandelle

Randy Shoeman said...

Every week I see your post in my inbox and I think 'I know I'm gonna be glad I read this'... so I do. Thx Mike.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to know how you always manage to 'blog' the perfect words/reminders every Monday morning! Thanks again, Mike, for setting the tone for a great week and life! I have lots of "I'm glads"... and I am "glad" I connected with you. Keep up the good work. Val

Anonymous said...

Loved this Blog!
You have once again amazed me with your words of wisdom...good work! I plan to make that list for me this week. Elaine

Veen said...

A toughie this week Mike...I know this post is to generate positive thoughts and to turn regrets into accomplishments....to fill the basket of life with a collection of delectable morsels....unfortunately life also affords some bad apples in its journey and it is these bad apples that I turn into the positives...the “I wish I hadn’t s” into the “I know better now and I am thankful for that experience because.... it showed me the errors of my way....gave me a new perspective.... allowed me to consider the alternatives ....make me value the people in my life.....get rid of the baggage in my life...etc

So what am I glad for? The list is endless...

Thank you for an excellent post.

Tamara Weeks said...

Loved this blog! Made me think - what are all my I'm glad's... T