Monday, December 20, 2010

Reflection

...

It is that time of year when I start to reflect on the past year.

For some, they write annual letters and send cards to family and friends, to share the events of the past year.

I was speaking with a Coaching client last week and they commented that they had many great things that happened to them in 2010, but they didn't write the details down.

There is real advantage of this for many reasons. You can reflect all all that you have accomplished, even if it is small and insignificant at the time.  

Another aspect of reflection for me is what may have went wrong and how did I handle it?   In hindsight, were things as bad as I actually thought that they would be at the time?   In many cases, they were not as bad.

I too reflect on my actions....or lack of action.

The definition of reflection is:
Given to reflection or serious consideration; reflective; contemplative; as a reflecting mind.
Throwing back light, heat, etc., as a mirror or other surface.
Click for image


Upon reflection for me:

I have many amazing people in my life, including family and wonderful friends.

It's ironic that I am today sending out my Blog post later than normal, largely due to the fact that I was away all weekend and just arrived home this morning.    I had an amazing experience that just happened to me less than 60 minutes ago.  As I was driving I saw an elderly couple walking to their snow covered car, and as they walked straight down the road, I thought, "perhaps I have met these people for a reason" as they further delayed my morning schedule. As I looked in my rearview mirror, I looped back to their vehicle, as I discovered they were now stuck in a solid, snowed packed ridge of snow.  I pulled over and started to assist, but realized it would take more than just me to make it happen.  Within minutes there were 4 of us helping and strategizing to get them out (without shovels in hand).  As we collaborated a moment we managed to push the couple out and they were on their way.   The truly amazing part of the story was when all four guys (including me) said "great job guys" and wished each other Merry Christmas and shook hands and went on our way.

As I drove away I reflected on the experience and thought, I am sure glad that the elderly couple delayed my morning schedule.  Upon reflection, I was pleased with the man in my mirror.

I will end with a powerful message from the song "Man in the Mirror", by the late Michael Jackson.....

I'm Starting With The Man In The Mirror
I'm Asking Him To Change His Ways
And No Message Could Have Been Any Clearer
If You Wanna Make The World A Better Place And Then Make A Change


When you look in the mirror and see your image reflecting back, are you happy with the reflection?

I welcome comments in the section below.

Happy holidays and Merry Christmas to those of you celebrating! 

"Helping you to the next level"

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice article Mike.... so true.

Anonymous said...

Wow!

Mike your blog has had a great impact on me. Isn't it fantastic when what we see in the mirror is someone who has made a difference in someone's life just by being who they are?

Yes, I will make my goals for 2011 but this has reminded me again that what I have achieved is never more significant than who I am and how that has had an impact on others.

P.S. I hope the next time I get stuck that I am blessed with having someone around who will take 5 minutes to help me get free.

CG

Veen said...

2010 has certainly been an eventful year for me.... some good and some bad.

In terms of reflecting, I look at the positives of the not so nice things that have occurred. I lost a dear friend in April this year. He was climbing Australia’s iconic stone monument, Ayer’s Rock (aka Uluru); something he had wanted to do for 20 years. After two months on a caravan trip with his wife, he climbed the rock and watched the sun set with his wife of 30 years. He died on his way down. Yes, a sad thing but he died happy and his wife was glad that she was with him, fulfilling his wish.

On my trip back from holidays on Monday, i was involved in an accident, 15 minutes into my journey. It caused damaged to front wheel and i had to get two days of mechanical work done before i could restart the 1300kms journey home.

Reflecting, I realise....
1. How fragile life is...anything can happen, anywhere, anytime.

2. Things happen for a reason. I have been living an insular life the last year or two. My friend’s demise and his widow taught me that life has to go on, no matter what. Don’t let negative and painful experiences mar your outlook on life, relationships and people.

3. The world is full of kind and helpful people. I had strangers affording help and organising food and accommodation when I had my accident. Hotel owners reimbursing money for less than 24 hours cancellation notice....and charging room at standard prices rather than holiday rates. Mechanics working up to 7 pm to get my car fixed so I could be home for Christmas.

4. If things were meant to be, they will become a reality....if not, the higher being has something better in store for you. The thing is not to lose faith....something we all should reflect at this time of year, regardless of one’s religious belief.

5. There is no such thing as failure....just momentary setbacks.

As usual, a thought provoking post Mike. Thank you for allowing me to share in the experinece.

Anonymous said...

Man that was a wonderful read.....and the story about the old couple gave me goosepumps..........I am so proud of you and we all really love that guy in your rear view mirror.
Elaine