Sunday, May 30, 2010

Get very good at what you love to do!

...

Good morning everyone.

“Get very good at what you love to do, because you can never get good enough at something that you are not suited for”   -Dr. Robert Anthony

I was introduced to this quote in 1993.  You may ask, why would I remember that?  It was a point in my career where I was making a strategic move within the company and I started on my journey as a sales coach.

At that time, I realized that I truly enjoyed coaching others to enhance their performance. As I quickly learned, I had the passion for the role, but I definitely needed to improve and get better. 

In life, there are so many things that we like to do, or even "love" to do.

My friend Al always had a love for boats and water and he decided to get very good in this industry, and today Al is a Certified Professional Yacht Broker in Sidney, BC.

Another close friend, Eden, is passionate about Martial Arts and a major part of his life since the early 70's has been the Martial Arts. He is the founder and most senior instructor for the Edmonton Goju-Kai Karate Club.  He decided to get very good at what he loves to do.

I know many people who are caught in a career that they are not suited for, yet they keep showing up every day.  They lack joy, success and feel helpless at times and definitely not fulfilled!

This topic has always resonated with me, because it should excite us that we get to do what we love.

Whether it is a dream career, fitness regime, cooking great gourmet meals or being very good as a parent, we do have a choice to make. 

What do you love to do?

Ski, bike, run, cook, write, coach, public speaking, painting, help others, construct buildings, stand-up comedy, farm, sing, being an entrepreneur, accounting, or selling real estate?

“Get very good at what you love to do, because you can never get good enough at something that you are not suited for”  -Dr. Robert Anthony

The message is simple...............you have to try many things in life to discover what you love to do, but when you do.............get very good at it, because you will enjoy it so much more.

Have a great week!!!

"Helping you to the next level"

1 comment:

Wang said...

Love the quote, I can see why it resonates so strongly with you Mike!