Monday, July 12, 2010

Optimism, Pessimism and Realism!

...


Where do you put yourself?

I have dabbled in all three in my lifetime.

OPTIMISM
•the optimistic feeling that all is going to turn out well
•a general disposition to expect the best in all things

PESSIMISM
•the feeling that things will turn out badly
•a general disposition to look on the dark side and to expect the worst in all things

REALISM
•the attribute of accepting the facts of life and favoring practicality and literal truth
•reality: the state of being actual or real

There are extremes to all three, in my opinion.  Some Optimists live in LaLa land, whereby they are always dreaming that "all" things they hope and think about will come true.  The reality is, that this rarely happens in actual fact.

Having said that, the Pessimist may paint nothing but gloom and doom and believes that many things just won't go their way!  Ironically, if this occurs, they will have achieved their expectations, and if a favourable outcome arrives, they are pleasantly surprised.

I tend to lean more towards Optimism, than Pessimism, but have learned a great deal from Pessimism, in fact it has taught me to be more Realistic.

A very special person in my life often has this discussion with me, and as a result I have gained a new perspective from these discussions and the topic of Optimism, Pessimism and Realism.  She is more pessimistic than I am, yet I truly respect the rationale behind her thoughts. It simply let's me look at life and certain situations from a different angle.....a good thing!

It has been said that pessimists have at least one big advantage over optimists: They take a more realistic view of things, including business situations."   ("Learned Optimism", by optimism enthusiast, Martin Seligman,)

"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute."  ~Gil Stern

I am Optimistic that many of you will have a great week, but the Reality is that some of you may not....LOL.

(I welcome your comments on my Blog in the comments section below...Thank you!)


 
"Helping you to the next level"

2 comments:

Jeff Gunther said...

Realism sometimes seems to get a bad rap. I loved the quote by Gil Stern, and always appreciate your balanced perspective. This post reminds me a bit of our conversation about Bruce Springsteen's desire to make music that is "rooted, and at the same time, flying." http://causeequalstime.com/2010/01/bruce-springsteen-with-elvis-costello-on-spectacle/

Mike Mack said...

Thx Jeff....!