Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Journey.....its not always a thousand miles!!!

. . .


A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.
(Chinese Philosopher, Lao Tzu 600BC - 531BC)
This old and very profound quote has stood the test of time, as it is so applicable to many of us today.

It could be interpreted as meaning, that no matter how long your journey or how significant and impossible the change you want to make it must start with a first step, or action to get you moving toward your goal or purpose.

I really like this message and for me it has so many meanings, but ultimately it is all about "Taking Action"

The journey for some may mean a life time, and for others it could be starting a new business or building a new relationship. I am reminded of a comment made to me many years ago, where someone I knew would always say that they, "shoulda, woulda, coulda."

The reality is that the idea was there, in "hindsight", but ZERO action was ever taken. They simply talked about: What they should have done. What they would have accomplished. What they could have been. Sad really, isn't It.? When you have intent or thoughts about doing something you must ask yourself is it compelling enough for you to do it. What is the purpose behind taking action, or NOT taking action?

"Procrastination is the bad habit of putting off until the day after tomorrow what should have been done the day before yesterday." -Napoleon Hill

It has been said and validated many times, that the biggest regrets in life come from not taking action. It is rare that you hear, I wish I hadn't asked that client for his business, or I am so glad that I didn't call a particular person to build a relationship.

Approximately 20 years ago, I heard a quote that still resonates with me today and one that I try to apply as often as I can. "I am glad I did, vs. I wish I had" (source, unknown).

I am amazed at how many times I have applied this to my life and how each time I continue to be glad that I took some form of action.

Whether you are a business owner, a student, or you are looking at changing careers or establishing a meaningful relationship, I am confident that you will not regret taking action and following your journey.

Click here for a visual image.

Have a great week!


"Helping you to the next level"

6 comments:

Kelly Martin said...

Great blog!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike,

Great thoughts. I totally agree that any plan without a well detailed, doable, and realistic action steps is a waste of action.

One of the most challenging tasks I find in the new business adventures in my life is being more proactive verses reactive. Reaction wastes so much energy and productivity that if one lets it get the best of him/her than their action plan will often sit and/or feel incomplete.

Reno said...

Hi Mike,

I just left you some feedback on your last blog. It will show up as anonymous. I got kicked out to the area where it indicated that comments have been enabled.

Reno

Anonymous said...

Great topic Mike. How many times do you hear people say I could've or I should've... Looking forward to the next one!

Mike said...

Thanks for your feedback and insight on my Blog. It is appreciated. Mike

Jordan said...

Good stuff Mike

You don't win the game sitting on the side lines